[AKidsRight.Org] 100 Days without solid food -- what's next? / Your FEEDBACK

From: John Murtari (jmurtari@AKidsRight.org)
Date: Thu Nov 09 2006 - 13:30:20 EST

Good People & People of Faith,

November 8th marked my 100th day without solid food as the tube
feedings continue.  The fast food commercials on TV are starting to
look very, very good!  Only 23 more days until freedom with dignity on
December 1st.  It's still too early to say what we have accomplished
here (http://www.AKidsRight.Org/support_jm.htm), but what's next?
What do you think?

Focus on Family Rights
-----------------------
That has always been the group's goal.  Get our Civil Right recognized
to be presumed FIT & EQUAL parents unless convicted in a criminal
court of being a demonstrated threat to our kids.  A Basic Human
right, not something to be controlled by a state legislature -- but
protected by a Federal Family Rights Act.  The first step in that
process will be to have our representatives in Congress call for
Congressional Hearings to document present injustice done to families
(http://www.AKidsRight.Org/approach.htm).

We ask people to visit the local & Washington offices of their Members
of Congress.  In the past we have met with the staffs of some
presidential hopefuls: Sen. John Kerry (MA), Sen. John Edwards (NC),
and my representative, Sen. Hillary Clinton (NY).  For more details on
how others responded see: http://www.AKidsRight.Org/legislative.htm.

All you need to do to make your feelings known is call a local office
and make an appointment.  If you would like other parents to go with
you please send us your contact info and we can announce it on our
list.  The web link above also includes a "Contact Kit" to help you
have a productive meeting.

A funny thing -- we usually make a point of asking the staff, "How
many other parents have visited you about this?"  Almost all answered,
"You are the first."  They do get visits from "child advocates" --
meaning lobbyists for associations of lawyers, psychologists, and
social workers.  All people with a "business interest" in the system.
Let's start making sure they hear from us!  Send us your experiences
and we'll add it to our website.

Focus on Senator Clinton
-------------------------
She has been a focus of our efforts in Syracuse.  For past activity
check http://www.AKidsRight.Org/actionc_syr.  We had hoped to resume
activity last August.  Getting more parents gathered in the Federal
Plaza to petition her to meet with us regarding the need for reform
(http://www.AKidsRight.Org/actionc_syr/agenda.htm).  My current jail
sentence delayed all that.

Many say she is anti-father or anti-family.  That she is for more
governmental control of our children and would never support Family
Rights.  This should be tempered by the following:

She is a front runner among the Presidential candidates for 2008.  She
is a strong voice on family issues and a very good politician;
sensitive to public opinion and what it takes to be elected.  In our
nation's history when Civil Rights legislation has passed, it has
enjoyed broad political support.

If she does not listen to us it is more a comment on the weakness and
lack of development of our effort.  It doesn't mean we can't get there
in the near future.  It also doesn't mean our present activities are
useless.  They are laying a foundation by increasing public knowledge
& awareness.

Focus on Organization
----------------------
One of the goals of the group is a public experiment into the
effectiveness of NonViolent Action
(http://www.AKidsRight.Org/civil.htm) in support of our Civil Rights.
As I have tried different techniques I am certainly convinced it is
effective, see http://www.AKidsRight.Org/events.htm.

What we lack is participation by others.  So far only one other mother
has joined me, Cathy Hughes (courageouscat22@yahoo.com), as we wrote
"Sen. Clinton Help Us" and "I Love You" to our children.  We used
chalk on the ground near the door of the Federal Building.  In a
surprise we were not arrested by security and also received TV
coverage on the local news
(http://www.AKidsRight.Org/actionc_syr/index.htm#cathy).  But we
weren't able to get more parents involved.

There is no replacement for a good local organization and I will be
making a more determined effort.  Announcing meetings via Free TV and
Newspaper announcements and also trying to buy small ads in the local
papers.

Focus on Goal
--------------
If a NonViolent Action campaign by a small group of loving parents can
get Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton to meet with us -- it should
certainly encourage others the method works and open the doors of many
other Members of Congress.  Media coverage of loving parents willing
to sacrifice because they love their kids should also bring public
opinion to our favor.  We will have the crucial elements needed for
real reform!

As always, your FEEDBACK is welcome.  You may write to me directly
in jail.  My address is:

John Murtari, POD 5A-8
Inmate Correspondence
555 S. State Street
Syracuse, NY 13202

(feedback follows below)
--
Coordinator                            AKidsRight.Org
jmurtari@AKidsRight.Org                "A Kid's Right to BOTH parents"

--- John Gisogod <giskhan@ca.inter.net>

--- Eduardo Vallejo <evallejo@homefundsdirect.com>

--- TXDADS <yflash2002@yahoo.com>