(no subject)

From: John Murtari (jmurtari@thebook.com)
Date: Fri Jul 07 2000 - 13:27:06 EDT

http://www.kids-right.org/

To unsubscribe from this list at anytime, send email to
Majordomo@kids-right.org with the following 1 line in the
BODY of the message (Subject is ignored).

unsubscribe members

Good people,

This message contains information on:
1. Contact person to assist in Murtari release.
2. Your letters have effect on judge in Murtari case.

1. Contact person to assist in Murtari release.

Mary Chancellor, public relations for Kids-Right.Org, has
volunteered to help coordinate the efforts for John's release.
If you can offer any help or know of someone, especially an
attorney, who could represent John in a Civil Rights action,
please contact her. Her E-Mail address is contact@kids-right.org,
and her phone number is (423) 326-0585 (please leave a message).

John has limited resources in jail. Many people have suggested
Federal civil rights action. This sounds like a very good idea
and while John can help in supplying background information, he
truly needs the help of another group and/or an attorney in
filing and bringing such an action. Contact Mary if you have any
suggestions.

2. Your letters have effect on judge in Murtari case.

For a hyperlinked version, go to
http://www.kids-right.org/protest_dm.htm.

All the letters written did have an affect on Judge Klim. On
Thursday morning, John was awoken early and was told to get ready
for Court. It was happy news. In the courtroom the judge said
that he had received John's letter and also supporting letters
from others. John then made another plea to delay the sentence so
he and his son could spend summer vacation together, that he still
had plane tickets for July 12th.

The Judge denied the request. He said, "the best interest of the
child is not a factor in this sentencing." He also told John
that instead of trying to reform the system, his time would have
been better spent working full time to support Domenic. He ended
with, "Let this six month sentence be a wake-up call regarding
your responsibility to Domenic."

>From John:

"It seemed like we were just going through the motion. It was a
somber ride back to jail. I had tried to do the best I could for
Domenic, given the financial reality of my situation. I tried to
appreciate the judge's position, but it was difficult to
understand why Dom and my mother were also being punished. Could
not the wake-up call been delayed six weeks--isn't six months in
jail for me punishment enough?"

"I had to try again. A friend faxed a quick letter to the judge
and after a bit more reflection I sent another letter regarding
the effects of the sentence."

"HOPE SPRINGS ETERNAL. There is still time till next Wednesday.
If you have time, please fax a letter to Judge David Klim, Family
Court (315) 435-8594. In a polite manner please ask him to delay
his sentence so Domenic can spend six weeks with a loving
parent."

"My special thanks to those who have written and called. I
appreciate your thoughts and especially your prayers. This is a
difficult time, but I have faith that good things are going to
happen. I am continually surprised by the kindness of so many
good people who are trying to help."