Martin Luther King Day, History & Conversion

From: Webmaster (webmaster@kids-right.org)
Date: Mon Jan 17 2000 - 10:36:05 EST

http://www.kids-right.org/

To unsubscribe from this list at anytime, send email to
Majordomo@kids-right.org with the following 1 line in the
BODY of the message (Subject is ignored).

unsubscribe members

Folks,

If you have never read some of the details of Martin Luther King's life,
please
take the time to do so today -- especially if you are hoping to reform
Family
Law in the United States and the World. You can find him (and others) at,
http://www.kids-right.org/philosop.htm -- his approach was able to change
a "system" years earlier than anyone thought possible! As the article
points out, in many ways his goals are our goals -- and his methods should
be
our methods. (This message is going out to members of Kids-Right.Org
and others).

Many of us our "political novices", take the time to go to the library and
read a little Civil Right's History, the odds we are facing are no worse
than Blacks in the Deep South (King), the liberation of India (Gandhi), or
Women's Right to Vote (Stanton). Let's learn from history.

1. Be united "FOR" something: Right now we are a lot of small groups.
I see a lot of email against this and that, but when you get a TV camera
in your face and they are looking for a 10 second "sound bite" -- what
are you going to say? May we suggest, "I want to be an equal
parent to my children and participate in their lives." -- who can disagree
with that? The Family Rights Act (http://www.kids-right.org/act.htm)

2. Conversion & Faith: If you take the time to read about King and
Gandhi, you will find they tried to show courtesy towards their
oppressors --
you will also see why. Let's stop the name calling towards Judges,
Lawyers, and former spouses. Yes it is a bad system, and yes some of
these people have done bad things -- but that does not make them bad
people (would you really be any different if you were in their shoes?)

Nothing is more heart breaking than talking to someone who has been
beaten-up by the system and crying because they can't see their children
-- and find out they feel "justice" is taking the kids away from the other
parent and keeping them for themselves (just the "best interest of the
child" -- you understand?)

3. Personal Sacrifice: Don't forget the women who spent TWO YEARS
living in a redwood tree just to save a few acres of forest. She did
her "duty" -- even though her effort did not make much of an immediate
difference. How much are we willing to sacrifice for our kids? Many
of you would do a LOT (but you just want to know it is going to work
in advance...). Unfortunately, life doesn't work that way -- that is not a
sacrifice. Follow the link above, and see what Gandhi has to say about
being results oriented.

We can make change happen. We can make change happen this year.
We can get Congressional hearings into Family Law reform -- but first
we need to change!

Cordially,
Kids-Right.Org