[AKidsRight.Org] Defense of Mr. Alec Baldwin - TV Interview & Your FEEDBACK

From: John Murtari (jmurtari@akidsright.org)
Date: Fri Apr 27 2007 - 20:40:24 EDT

Good People & People of Faith,

There has been quite a bit of FEEDBACK! People wonder why we are not
more united?  I think the sincere thoughts you read below will make it
clear.... we don't believe the same things.  We don't share the same
goals.  I've seen items from 'respectable' reform groups saying 'we
should distance ourselves from Mr. Baldwin' -- wow!  Please, don't get
angry at the opposing views, they can be easy to dismiss, but try to
understand....who do you stand with?  What will you sacrifice for?

Below is video of a TV show by Mr. Baldwin done today, Friday, on "The
View".  He simply did a masterful job and took control of the
interview (I guess a big star can do that!).  More importantly, the
words he used were 'our words', the feelings he expressed about his
child were 'our feelings'.  Most amazingly, he wants to give up
'Hollywood' for a while and focus on Family Law Reform!  Same
interview, two different locations below:

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=973768&t=8863

http://abc.go.com/daytime/theview/

One more thing, as you read the comments below.  If your contact with
the children you love was at risk -- which of the people below would
you want to be your Judge & Jury?  The original message can be found
at: http://www.AKidsRight.Org/wordpress -- you can leave more
comments.

In the feedback below your messages are always prefaced with ">", the
other text is my response. The following ">" represents your later
reply. You get the last word!

FEEDBACK - understanding Alec Baldwin
-------------------------------------

--- mark@madelf.com

> I remember conversations like that . . .

Thanks for a bit of real life and common sense.  We are human, we are
emotional, sometimes these things happen, but we kiss, make-up,
forget, and get over it....

--- "NEJAD, JOHN K" <jnejad@oppd.com>

--- Ted Hayes <tedhayes@domevillage.org>  http://www.domevillage.org/

> Right on for Mr. Baldwin.

...they want to inhibit contact because of this, and that only stops
any healing.  I can remember some real 'moments' between my mom and I
when some tough things were said, but there were always hugs later and
the 'moment' was just forgotten...

... I admire what you did with Dome Village -- one person has a lot of
power, you just need to try.  I hope more parents will start doing
that instead of waiting for help from someone else.

--- "Stephen Baskerville" <sbaskerville@cox.net> http://www.acfc.org/

--- Don Mathis <fourteenpercenter@yahoo.com>

--- "Stan 75" <kickstan@hotmail.com>

> You're right on the money as usual.

Well, thanks for the vote of confidence.  I'll try to remember that
next time I'm in jail!!!!

--- "Kim Berry" <kberry@surewest.net>

> Hannity just said he should be arrested for his threats.

> I agree with you. Raising voice on the phone is a natural reaction
> to being dissed. Sure he should have directed the message to the
> mother.

> I went through divorce hell - including a criminal trial for DV -
> acquitted when DA pursued a zero case under zero-tolerance policy.
> My brother went through similar long-distance hell, flying across
> country for schedule weekend visits, only to find on one waiting and
> no answer the phones, followed by nonsense excuses.

> Good for you for standing up for him. If FC did their job men would
> not be pressed to this desperation.

... That people call for 'arrest' just shows how far we have to go in
shifting public opinion..... But I feel it is no more than what was
required to break the back of segregation, to make white people
finally see blacks as BROTHERS and EQUAL human being -- the love we
have for our kids is a powerful force, we just have to have the Faith
to use it.

--- Stephen Metzger <icaworld@optonline.net>

--- "Imandt, Carol A." <CImandt@qcc.cuny.edu>

--- Douglas Richardson <dougmrich@yahoo.com>
                           http://www.alecbaldwin.com/

--- Mark <mark@ivalenti.com>

--- Valerie <VANemeth@cs.com>     http://WWW.ENTLAWYER.COM/

--- xavier lane <fatheralienation@yahoo.com>

--- Peter Hill <CHIROHILL@aol.com>

> What Mr. Baldwin said to his daughter was wrong.

> That being said, Alec Baldwin acted out in frustration over a
> condition known as Parent Alienation.  I urge all readers to read up
> on this before you pass judgment on Alec Baldwin.  There is nothing
> more important to a parent than ones child and one can not
> understand the rage a person feels when someone as so close and dear
> to them is taken from them by Alienation.

> ... Some people can't handle being the target of the Alienation and
> they lash out as Alec did.  It does not mean he is a bad father, but
> one who feels such strong feelings for his child and is so
> frustrated that he can't understand how ones love can be not
> returned that he lashed out at his child...

> Till people can walk in the shoes of being the target of parent
> alienation, they should temper their criticism of those parents.
> One can not underestimate the emotions, and feelings that come from
> being alienated from those that you love.

I like what you said...  It is a lot of good common sense.  I've heard
some people that want to 'punish' him for it, cut off his visits even
more -- what a shame, and in the long run it just hurts the whole
family.

--- "EARL FIBISH" <earl9876@msn.com>

--- "Burke, John" <John.Burke@aliant.ca>

--- "Amy Houghton" <amyhousr@hotmail.com>
                  http://www.grandparentsforchildren.org/

--- Debra Root <dusty6873@yahoo.com>

--- Ray <Caribbeancamera@aol.com>

> John -- I completely agree with you. People who wish to cast stones
> at Mr Baldwin will do well to realize just how frustrating it
> becomes for good fathers to be pushed aside by vindictive mothers,
> who do their best to alienate the children from the fathers. This
> incident cannot be viewed in isolation, but must be seen in the
> context of the six years of hell this man has been put through by
> his ex-wife, and just how painful it is for fathers to be relegated
> to a minor role in their children's lives.  Mr Baldwin should have
> realized, of course, it's not the child's fault, and should not have
> vented his anger on her, but sometimes you lose it, and it's the
> only way to get the kid to understand that you still love them and
> how frustrating it is for you to be cast aside by vindictive mothers
> who, by the way, only alienate the children to spite the father. If
> the mother was "seeking the best interest of the child" then she
> would understand how important it is for them to have a father in
> their lives, no? As for the tape reaching Entertainment Tonight --
> more spite. Just to embarrass and degrade the man. Did Ms Basinger
> stop to think how her daughter would feel hearing her berated on
> national TV by her father? This is so f**ked up. Poor kid.

... He and his wife should have just been EQUAL parents, like you say,
the poor kid.  All this just did not need to happen.

---  Adryenn Ashley Neuenburg <adryenn_ashley@yahoo.com>

> ... Alec made a boo boo.  It would have been one thing to parent a
> child in a live conversation where wiretapping would have been the
> only way to get the call on tape.  He should know, and his attorney
> should have told him, a message machine is exempt from wiretapping
> laws.  Anything said on it does not have the same expectation of
> privacy and can be aired publicly.  THat's how I caught my
> husbands old attorney for perjury (since I couldn't use the tapes of
> the confession).

> Personally, I believe that it is productive to keep all feelings
> self directed: "I was really looking forward to this call and you
> not answering is making me feel bad."  The idea being that his
> calling HER names, for making HIM feel bad is displacing the anger
> and putting it on her.  He can only be responsible for his own
> feelings.  And by framing the discussion using I the other person is
> less likely to feel attacked, and more willing to participate in the
> conversation.  That has nothing to do with parenting and everything
> to do with interpersonal communications.

> There is a lot of anger in that family unit, and the battling
> parents have stuck Ireland in the middle, which sucks.  But he isn't
> doing himself any favors.  The way the system is set up, he needs to
> be perfect and she needs to be a whack job before he's going to win.
> Yes, equal would reduce the tension in most divorces.  But the
> women's lobby will never let that be the defacto ruling because of
> the significant loss of power involved.  That's why I am educating
> women to keep their power and not hand it over to the court and the
> "system" that is just out to suck the money from the family unit.
> Mediation, substantially equal time, and splitting expenses makes
> for more money for the child all around, and a happier healthier
> kid.  Presented that way, most parents agree.

You have a great analysis below of redirecting frustration, but
haven't we all done it?  ... But get the 'system' involved and it
becomes a 'process', contact can be blocked and any natural 'healing'
is stopped.

I agree with what you say about the politics of reform and why change
is opposed.  That is why I think it is so essential that we identify
ourselves as parents working to protect the integrity of parent/child
relationships, even the 'poor' ones.  People motivate by love are
willing to make personal loving sacrifice for their beliefs, those
motivate by power rarely are.

--- Mike <mnlittle@prodigy.net>

--- Anthony Gallo <Nychero11105@aol.com>
                        http://anthonygallo.exploretalent.com/

--- Peter Burns <dad4justice@yahoo.com.au>

--- Deborah Kelly <dlbkelly@yahoo.com>

--- rc woody <hawkman_019@yahoo.com>

--- Charles <COOGAAH@aol.com>

> I agree with your sentiments completely!  Is there anyone who has
> not, at some time become annoyed, angry and then verbally exploded
> when under strain.

> Baldwins case is, as many are, long running stories of one
> controlling partner causing psychological trauma with their actions.
> The difference in his case it has been played out publicly.

> He has been denied contact and his ex partner has broken court
> orders, which I am sure rings a very loud bell with many!  Baldwin
> should not be condemned for his outburst but should receive sympathy
> for his plight.

> ... Alex Baldwin needs understanding not condemnation form the
> infantile minded media and tabloid brained masses.  Good luck to
> Alex Baldwin and his child and to all other parents and children in
> similar positions.

FEEDBACK - Alec Baldwin is a bad parent
---------------------------------------

--- Berni <BerniD21@aol.com>

--- dd33306@yahoo.com

> I completely disagree. This was nothing other than child abuse and
> its why I am certain he alienated himself from his daughter. Abusive
> people always blame others. I hope they terminate his parental
> rights. What a sorry excuse for a father.

I think we both are assuming that this 'event' was brought on by the
additional stress of unequal parenting and the 'system' looking for
'who is the best parent?' Also, that Mr. Baldwin realizes he said a
foolish thing to his daughter and is sorry. But that you feel an event
like this rises to the level of conduct that would justify a permanent
parent/child separation?

--- "Michael L. Oddenino" <oddlaw@pacbell.net>

> There is no excuse for Baldwin's tirade against his child.  It is
> indefensible. Period.

... what [do] you think the consequences should be?  Like any family
issue, let's assume their was some 'history' here that we are not
aware, there was an outburst, and let's assume an apology and regret
by Mr. Baldwin.  Now, some would say we should limit his contact, have
supervised visits, etc...  What do you think?  When does 'society'
have the right to intervene in family life?

--- Jan <TIDDYBEAR@aol.com>

--- LIFERMAN007@aol.com

> I'm sure Baldwin is going through hell with this divorce and I'm
> sure he feels the pain of not having his child with him as much as
> he would like. But that is no excuse for his saying what he did. I
> don't care haw angry a parent may be, he has no right to call his
> daughter a "little pig."

> Father's rights movement will fall apart if they look at situations
> like this and give men(and women) a free ride for saying something
> like this. Shame on Mr' Baldwin and any parent that puts down their
> kids this way.

> ... Let me ask, how many of you, if you had millions of dollars,
> would move to where your child is and put your career on the back
> burner so that you could be with your child? MONEY is more important
> to Mr.  Baldwin.

> The sad fact is that some men and women are not fit to be parents.

Based on that should he have limited contact? Forced to attend
counseling or anger management classes?  WHen does society have the
right to step into your family life and 'command'.

... I'll be honest, one thing that has surprised me is some of the 'off
the cuff' condemnation of him (as you use below).  How many of us have
been on the receiving end of that from a Judge or Social worker?  Is
it so easy to give it out to another?  Isn't that the problem?

--- "ROBIN DENISON" <Buckey01@msn.com>
              http://www.parental-alienation-awareness.com/

> I beg to differ with you. My feelings about the Alec Baldwin
> incident:

> I am aghast! Alec Baldwin has just set back by miles, the progress
> on understanding and empathy for targeted parents and families we
> are all working towards. His response to his daughter's behavior is
> a lesson in what NOT to do.

> Those of us who are targeted parents can understand Mr. Baldwin's
> anger and frustration, but the rest of the world cannot .

> If anyone can get in touch with Mr. Baldwin, I hope they can suggest
> he get counseling with an expert who understands PAS, and who can
> help him understand that targeted parents must learn to develop a
> "thick skin" and huge amounts of patience and understanding.

> Alienated children are the puppets of adults who are insensitive,
> and cruel, and who care more about themselves than the needs of the
> child.

> Alec Baldwin's daughter does not know this. Nor, it seems, does
> Mr. Baldwin.  Mr. Baldwin, although he may have been treated in the
> most inconsiderate manner by his daughter, needs to understand, that
> he is still the parent, and, as such, must show to his daughter, the
> appropriate way people are supposed to behave.

> Mr. Baldwin has done a great disservice, both to his daughter, and
> to all of the other children who are being victimized by parents who
> would intentionally inflict their agendas of anger and revenge on
> their own children.

> What the rest of the world has heard, is a father who has spoken
> unconscionably to his child, and, who by all intents and purposes,
> by virtue of his own behavior, has had court restrictions placed
> upon him.

I actually thing his actions bring more into focus what our goals are,
that Yes, Mr. Baldwin said a foolish and hurtful thing - BUT he is
still a FIT & EQUAL parent to his daughter, and we condemn a 'system'
that makes parents act this way, and have something to gain by making
it 'public'?  He doesn't 'have' to do anything.

I welcome your follow up -- but what he did was 'real', it happens, we
need to be able to embrace that yes, sometimes parents act that way --
but they are still FIT & EQUAL -- and especially with this type of
situation, the whole matter was triggered by the indignity of being
treated as a 'lesser' parent?  I like what your wrote and you
expressed it quite well, many people feel as you do.

---  Diane Booth <childrescuer@hotmail.com>

> I think he is disgusting. My father NEVER talked to me that way
> EVER, and I would NEVER allow any man to talk to ME that way
> either. If so, they'd be out the door and I'd say HIT THE ROAD,
> JACK, AND DON'T YOU COME BACK NO MORE.

...He is 'disgusting' based on that limited excerpt?  What do you
think the consequences should be for him?  Limit contact?  Force him
to go to counseling?  Glad to hear your dad never talked to you that
way, but it does happen sometimes in 'heated' family moments.  Let's
also assume he is obviously sorry for what he said -- now what?  When
does society have the right to interfere and dictate?

I'm also surprised that you, of all folks, would so quickly label him
as 'disgusting'?  Haven't we all experienced those same labels by
people in the system who just make a snap judgment, is it that easy
to apply a degrading term to another parent?

--- Teresa Wilson <newport_lifesaver@yahoo.com>

> i would not have sympathy for him for the simple fact how he talked
> to his child it is bad that it was aired but he has the money to pay
> his way out of it the child on the other hand, it will affect
> him/her for the rest of his/her life maybe not right away but he/she
> will have issues with it eventually

Many people feel as you do, but I'm not so sure.  I'm not sure about
you, but I've had some family 'moments' I would not want broadcast,
some awful things said -- but their was regret, hugs, and with time
forgetting. In the present system, that doesn't happen, and may not
with his poor daughter. It's an excuse to keep them apart longer, more
artificial things? Your thoughts?

--- "cathie rockwood" <cathie_nationwide@hotmail.com>

--- Anita Barnes <anitafl03@yahoo.com>

> As you usual YOU COMPLETELY MISS THE BOAT!!!!~ This is not about the
> father.....it's about his abusing his 11 year old daughter....this
> scars the child for life!! If he loves his child he'll learn to
> control his anger and learn what it is to know SELFLESS LOVE!

> CHILD ABUSE ....INCLUDING MENTAL BATTERY IS A CRIMINAL ACT. period!
> There is no excuse ever.

> Loving father's don't abuse their children.....they find avenues to
> responsibly manage their differences without engaging in hateful,
> criminal activities and use of fraudulent games.

> FRANKLY....I'M GLAD THAT MR. BALDWIN HAS SHOWN THE WORLD THE TRUTH
> AND REVEALED HIMSELF!!

Thanks for writing and being expressive!  I think you must have read
my message below, I think many people have experienced these types of
unfortunate 'moments' with those whom we care about.  We are human, we
are emotional, it happens.  In a private family their are hugs later
and it is forgotten with time.....  are those crimes, mental battery?
http://www.AKidsRight.Org/wordpress/archives/9

--- Nora <Oum777@aol.com>

> You give Mr. Baldwin a lot of credit.  I honestly don't know if it
> is due.

> How does one know?  The issue with Baldwin is whether he is the
> target of his ex wife's campaign of alienation to turn the child
> against him?  How does one know especially in view of his own
> incriminating words.  Does his indignity excuse him from the tongue
> lashing?

Isn't the issue whether he (and his former spouse) should be FIT &
EQUAL parents, I think that answer is yes, according to group
standards -- neither of them is a demonstrated serious threat to the
safety of their daughter.  Are they good, average, or poor parents - I
don't know what they are today, and being a parent is dynamic, it may
change tomorrow.  But I think we can safely say they are not bad
parents.

If they had just been EQUAL parents, all this would have never
happened.  The problem was caused by the system and now will probably
be aggravated even more?

--- Asif Suleman <Asif@medis.co.za>

> i normally endorse alot of your views and forward your correspondence
> extensively to others in F4J [Kwazulunatal SOUTH AFRICA].  THIS ONE
> I WONT

> Regrettably ALEC BALDWIN'S comments are totally against all my value
> systems .I really don't care what he has been through,,,,,, but his
> utterances make me want to puke.  WAKE UP ALEX. GO TO GYM AND TAKE
> OUT YOUR FRUSTRATION CONSTRUCTIVELY.  IF YOU SAY RUBBISH LIKE THIS
> TODAY....YOU WILL SAY ALOT MORE THE NEXT TIME

> JOHN, I see no justification and find it disturbing that you rise to
> his defense is this just because he is a Dad or would you accept
> similar defence on your side for mums

Thanks for taking the time to write.  Let me explain a bit and we can
clarify things.  I don't, nor does anyone else, think that what he
said is 'okay', the 'defense' was not of that, but to say Mr. Baldwin
is still a FIT & EQUAL parent, as is his spouse, as should be many
parents.  I feel the same for mom or dad....

The key item is when does society have the right to impose its will?
Some people have said that contact should be limited with his
daughter, or he should be forced to counseling?  The very basis of
this 'outburst' was caused by the indignity of being a 'lesser' parent
-- the 'system' just makes it worse.

Many of us have been through the system, I see your comments to
Mr. Baldwin below -- how many of us have been on the receiving end of
that from some official?  What gives you or them the right?

--- "Michael Robinson" <fastcars@surewest.net>

> [...]
> today about this report and even John Hamel is appalled at Alec's
> remarks. I also spoke with Robin Denison today
> http://www.parental-alienation-awareness.com/ and she feels the same
> way I do and the mental health experts.

> ... I also spoke with James today and he feels the same way. There
> is no defense for Alec's demeaning statements to his daughter. I
> personally know more about his case the what is public and even Stan
> has spoke with him.

> I even spoke with Adyrenn and she also feels the same way. There is
> no defense for the indefensible! To defend Alec's actions in any way
> causes us the loss of any credibility at all in a political
> environment plus it is just flat out wrong to demoralize a child in
> the way Alec did to his own daughter. Frankly Alec made a pretty
> dumb gaff by leaving a message like that knowing that it would be
> admissible in a court of law. Here is a statement I sent out earlier
> today:

> According to Michael Robinson, a family law policy consultant in
> Sacramento California, "The recent news coverage over Alex Baldwin's
> phone message to his daughter Ireland really makes the point as to
> why Parental Alienation and alienating statements made by parents to
> their children needs to be taken very seriously. While some people
> want to minimize and discount the effects alienating statements have
> on children - repeated negative statements directed towards a child
> about the other parent over time is very damaging to the child's
> well being and development and seriously affects the child self
> worth. The damage doesn't end when these children become adults
> either. Children who have been subjected to alienating behavior and
> tactics, often associated with high conflict custody cases, are also
> at higher risk of repeating the same behavior as adults. These
> children also suffer from other behavior and mental disorders."

> Robinson also says, "there is absolutely no justification or even a
> reasonable excuse for a parent to make statements like Baldwin made
> in his phone message to any child. Yes Kim Basinger has done allot
> of button pushing according to past reports on this highly
> publicized high conflict custody battle, but that is no excuse for
> Baldwin's message to his daughter. Allot of the reports have
> reported that Basinger has engaged in making allot of alienating
> statements herself and in my opinion, just as or even maybe more
> responsible for the ongoing problems in this case. Its bad enough
> for a child when you have one parent engaging in alienating behavior
> and tactic's but when you have both parents doing it, this can lead
> to disastrous outcomes for a child. Its time to quit playing special
> interest politics' regarding Parental Alienation and take this
> problem seriously, unless policy makers don't have a problem with
> increasing the number of dysfunctional children with serious

... Far from being something we should worry about 'loss of
credibility' over? Mr.  Baldwin and his former spouse are a 'classic'
high-conflict divorce, made all the more so (and unfortunately for the
child) because the system is trying to determine 'what's best'.  They
should both be FIT & EQUAL parents (even now) in their daughter's life
and the system caused this situation.  I think you might disagree?

There has been a lot of feedback from people on this.  I think it does
help define ourselves as reformers and what our goals are.  I welcome
you to clarify, but I assume you feel a Court should decide what is in
the child's best interest even when neither parent has been convicted
of any crime against their child?  That mental health professionals
should evaluate both parents and make a determination as to the 'best'
level of contact with each one?  If you have a website with some of
these policy goals I can share it with others in our group.  As much
as I don't quite agree, I feel there are many who have similar
feelings right now...

--- Joani <Putzangel@aol.com>

> I think he knows better than to call his daughter names. But the
> point is well taken that these kids should not be allowed to get
> away with this behavior.

... but it was off voicemail and not denied by him. Although
Mr. Baldwin did make a 'public' apology -- not sure why that was
necessary for a private family situation?  He does know better, but
like I was trying to say below -- sometimes these 'moments' just
happen in a family.

--- Marcia <NewYorkStateNOW@aol.com>

> If this was his behavior on the phone, one can only imagine his
> behavior behind closed doors. I, for one, think he should only have
> supervised visitation, if any at all!  His obvious threats are to be
> taken very seriously.  I don't know what went on in their marriage,
> but based on his obvious sick outrageous behavior, I can understand
> why Kim Bassinger is fighting for full custody of her daughter.
> Baldwin needs help! He is a sick ticket!  If he loves his daughter
> so much, he should move closer to her, instead of living half way
> across the world.

... We have gotten a lot of feedback on this and it certainly has
helped people identify what goals they see for family law reform.

For me I think the key part of your reply is "imagine his behavior"
and the way you label him a 'sick ticket'.  We have a lot of moms and
dads in the group who have lost contact with their kids because of the
power of imagination and the willingness of a Judge or Social Worker
to quickly label them -- yet we still do it to others?

I don't believe anyone, including Mr. Baldwin, is trying to justify
what we said, but rather, in family sometimes these moments happen...
The system caused this by not recognizing two fit and equal parents,
and now I'm afraid the normal healing that would have rapidly occurred
in private family life, will be much delayed.  That is unfortunate.
Your thoughts are welcome.

5. BLAME MOM!
------------

--- "Roger Desbois" <planetary@online.fr>

--- Bob Allen <bobx23456@yahoo.com>

> Right on John, The father of the 11 year old should not have had to
> phone her.  He should not have been hung up on.  He's a victim of
> PAS, as well as C$$ and the whole anti-father establishment.  Its
> the MOTHER who ought to be pillared here.

Thanks for taking the time to write.  You are correct in that he
should have been a FIT & EQUAL parent and this type of silly stuff
just wouldn't have happened.  But I think we should steer clear of
going after Ms. Basinger, or make this a mom v dad thing.  Yes, it
does happen to men more often, but it happens to women also.  The
problem is the system and the amount of control we have given a single
Judge over family life.  Trying to turn this into a gender war and
everybody loses.

--- WaynrDude@aol.com

> This is a crime. CPS is always using the excuse of not being able to
> divulge information because of confidentiality laws.  Surely the
> state has laws for the privacy of that minor. The attorney and
> Bassinger should be thrown in jail!

This confidentiality stuff is interesting, sometimes I think it is
there more to protect the system, than the family, especially with
CPS.  What about this, family matters are confidential, but if any
party so desires they can make the entire thing public, including any
official records?