[AKidsRight.Org] Letter writing campaign for Murtari release

From: John Murtari (jmurtari@AKidsRight.org)
Date: Wed Sep 27 2006 - 17:26:47 EDT

--text follows this line--
Good People & People of Faith,

This message contains info on:
1. Help with Murtari early release - write letter!
2. Your FEEDBACK -- Civil Rights of Parents

1. Help with Murtari early release - write letter!
After the denial of a stay at the Appellate level, John's attorney
will be filing a motion for sentence reduction with Judge Hedges.
This is the judge that originally sentenced John to jail for six
months.  Full details at: http://www.AKidsRight.Org/support_jm.htm.

The motion will be argued in Court and John will be present and able
to address the Court.  The appearance could be as early as next
Wednesday, Oct. 4th.  John's 50th birthday is Oct. 2nd.  While John is
ready to continue avoiding solid food and be fed via feeding tube till
December -- he would like his freedom, to get back to work, and most
of all to see his son again.  He asks that we write a brief personal
letter to Judge Hedges asking for his immediate release.

Please be polite and respectful.  Talk about the love you have for
your kids and the love John has for his son.  Talk about a system that
can't help but fail when it does not recognize our Civil Right to be
presumed FIT & EQUAL parents to our children.  Further jail time
accomplishes nothing.

John wrote a short two page affidavit to support the motion (complete
text below).  It may give you some ideas.  In New York State prisoners
get a 1/3 reduction in sentence for good behavior.  John started this
sentence on July 31st and should be released on Dec 1st.  By the end
of September he will have served half the actual jail time.

Please write in the next couple of days.  We would like everything to
reach the judge's office by Monday, Oct. 2nd so there there is time
for him to review them.  Depending on where you live, letters should
be mailed no later than Thursday/Friday of this week.

The Judge contact info is:

	Judge Bryan Hedges
	Onondaga County Family Court
	401 Montgomery St.
	Syracuse, NY 13202

John welcomes you sending him a copy of your letter, your story with
your kids, and your thoughts on the Civil Rights of parents.  His
contact info is:

	John Murtari, POD 5A-7
	Inmate Correspondence
	555 S. State Street
	Syracuse, NY 13202-2104

The jail does allow you to enclose stamps in incoming mail.  John
replies to all mail and the stamps are a big help.  Any contributions
to John's legal defense are welcome.  For details, see:
http://www.AKidsRight.Org/donate_jm.htm.

Affidavit to support Release
-------------------------------
Below is the text of John's affidavit.  One prerequisite for a
reduction in sentence is a change in circumstance.  This is why the
first few paragraphs explain the situation at John's office.

Phillipson v. Murtari

I am the respondent in the above action and make this statement in
support of my motion.

1. At the start of September my business had the unexpected loss of an
employee.  While in jail I can't conduct interviews to fill the
position.  This leaves only one employee.

2. The business does web site hosting and is a 24 hour operation.
Someone is always on-call in case of a computer problem and there are
customer service calls to answer during the day.  It is more than one
person can handle on a long term basis.

3. This jail sentence places the business at risk.  Given my Civil
Rights actions and maximizing my time with my son, Domenic, it
provides reliable income and a great potential for future growth.  It
can be a future asset for Domenic.

4. This Spring I developed a database product we could sell to a wide
market.  I had two large computer magazines interested in running an
article I had written which would have provided great free
advertising.  Development plans were suspended due to jail.

5. The report by Wayne County Probation found a good home environment.
The officer visited while Domenic was with me for the summer.  He
interviewed Domenic.  He said there was a good relationship between
father and son and that Dom wanted to spend more time with me.  The
report recommended a short period of incarceration - I received the
maximum sentence.

6. I am not a deadbeat.  I love my child very much and do everything I
can for him.  I have spent more than the support order required on
about half the imputed income.  Please reference and include in this
statement my Affidavit submitted as part of my support hearing, dated
Jan. 13, 2006, and my letter to Judge Hedges, dated July 28, 2006.
Support chronology at: http://www.AKidsRight.Org/support_jm.htm.

7. I am not withholding money from my former spouse as part of a
protest or out of spite.  There are no hidden assets.  I underwent a
complete financial deposition at the US Attorney's office last year as
part of an unpaid Federal fine.  They confirmed this.

8. Since my son was relocated I have tried on numerous occasions to
adjust the support order via Support Magistrate Davies and directly
with my former spouse.  All efforts have been rebuffed.

9. I have served almost two months in jail.  I have made it hard time
by not eating/drinking and having a feeding tube inserted.  This has
been painful, uncomfortable, and expensive.

10. I acted in good conscience and should not be with criminals.  I
have not acted in a selfish manner and have always tried to do what is
best for my son.  I was placed in a Catch-22 situation by a system
which refused to recognize my value as a parent.

11. I believe the judicial process is fatally flawed when it fails to
recognize the Civil Right of parents to be presumed fit & equal in
raising their own children.

12. Probation is no option.  Accepting it would be an admission of bad
conduct if I voluntarily accepted it as alternate punishment.  I could
never comply with terms since I am forced to drive to work with a
license suspended by Ms. Davies.

13. Some make an argument that to reduce my sentence would encourage
future hunger-strikers.  I did not refuse to eat to reduce my jail
sentence.  I refused food to protest an unjust support proceeding and
to affirm my belief that my Civil Rights as a parent were ignored.
Like movements of the past, the problem is not hunger-strikers or
freedom-riders (who sat in the front of the bus).  The problem is an
unjust system.

14. I am already being punished for not being able to comply with the
order.  I have numerous judgements against me and have been
financially devastated.  I live in a $36,000 home that belonged to my
parents and drive a 1988 Dodge Caravan with over 260,000 miles.  I
turn 50 next month with nothing in the bank and over $6,000 in credit
card debt.

15. Most importantly, I would like to restore normal contact with my
son who is 13 years old and knows what is happening.  God willing, I
hope to travel to see him next month.  I need to pick up Dom's pet
bunny, Taro, from foster care.

2. Your FEEDBACK -- Civil Rights of Parents

--- Roger Baril

--- Deborah Planet Case FL <DLP4010@aol.com>

--- Virginia McCullough <vmccullough@comcast.net>

> [...]

> Wednesday's demonstration, Jonea Rogers (Case No. FL12003), now
> finds herself in that position. She is unable to access her most
> current files in order to properly prepare for her upcoming trial.
> When this reporter attempted to review these files the clerk told me
> that Judge Lynn Duryee had them in her chambers and would not
> release them because she was preparing an order.  The clerk was not
> certain when they would be made available.

> Infighting within John Montgomery's office resulted in disclosures
> about Montgomery's private life that clearly spelled out a conflict
> of interest that affected not only his job performance but also
> brought into question the manner in which he handled the Marin
> Court's budget. An employee within Montgomery's office, Kim Turner,
> initiated the investigation into Montgomery's conflict of interest.
> Turner discovered that Montgomery had purchased two houses together
> with a contract employee, Linda Lau, who Montgomery employed on
> contracts for computer consulting for the Marin County court that
> totaled $674,022 over a three-year period.  Turner presented the
> matter to presiding Judge Terrence Boren on January 27, 2005 and
> Montgomery resigned with two days notice to the court on March 31,
> 2005.  Also in question were Montgomery's travel expenses and the
> distribution of more then $2 million in fine reimbursements
> collected in Marin's jurisdiction that the court is responsible to
> distribute to county and local municipalities.

> In April 2005 the Administrative Office of the Judicial Courts
> issued an 86-page audit report on the Marin County Courts requested
> by Judge Terrence Boren.  Kim Turner is the current acting Court
> Executive Officer.

> Protective parents are finding it difficult to understand how, even
> though money is missing and files are inaccurate and withheld,
> individuals like John Montgomery are protected and they and their
> children are sacrificed on the altar of the Family Law Courts.

> The emotional devastation heaped upon parents and children who
> become entangled in the web of intrigue that constitutes this
> playground for lawyers, judges and social workers, will forever
> impact their lives. The Family Law Courts are a money machine that
> continues to operate under the disguise of dealing out justice.  The
> Family Law Courts will only change if taxpayers begin to wake up and
> realize that their taxes are paying for this pathetic game and the
> players who enjoy it.  What exists at the current time in the
> courthouses across this nation is simply obstruction of justice that
> has absolutely nothing to do with "the best interest of the child."

> So the women like Kelli Hill (Nunez), Valerie Nixon, and Jonea
> Rogers who have been jailed in the defense of their children and who
> were present at the September 28, 2005 demonstration in front of the
> Marin County Courthouse are courageous warriors seeking to change an

--- Don K.

> All in favor of a Federal Family Rights Act which makes joint
> custody and equal parenting time the LAW. No questions asked. This
> should apply IMMEDIATELY to all divorced parents and their children,
> in the USA, and US citizen anywhere in the
> world. www.action4justice.com

> Will Bill 5267 help Fathers who have a current custody
> agreement. Will it enable us to go back to court with this new
> criteria and possibly receive what we should have.

> Please join us in Lansing at the Capitol East site on Wednesday
> September 27 between noon and 2:00 pm for the Equal Parents Week
> Rally and show your support for HB5267. We are going to bring one
> thousand parents and advocates to the Michigan State Capitol at noon
> on Wednesday September 27th as a demonstration of our will to be an
> equal parent to our children. Fliers and printing instructions are
> available here:

> Current Version of Equal Parents Week Flier is 1.1
> http://www.dadspace.org/files/EqualParentsWeek06Flier.pdf
> 8.5" x 11"

> I have a 12 year old boy. I have him every other weekend, every
> other holiday, Every Tuesday (5 hours) and every other Thursday (5
> Hours) and half of the Summer, Spring and Winter break.  My boy's
> Mother and his StepDad are trying to move from Michigan to
> Colorado. My current papers say they can not move more than 100 miles
> or out of state without a court order.  He has lived in the same
> town for 12 years, his whole family is here from her side and mine,
> his grades are great and he plays 4 sports which I coach.  My Lawyer
> is telling me to wait until they send me the papers. Should I listen
> or should I start the process of stopping the move. Has any one been
> in this situation and if so, Any suggestions would help

> P.S My Boy does not want to move at all!!

--- James Williams

--- Bob J. <bob_lynn_j@yahoo.com>

> My heart goes out to John Murtari and if there's anything I can do
> to help, please contact me at bob_lynn_j@yahoo.com

> You may want to review proposed legislation on the
> LIFE, http://www.life-vs-cps.com/ (Liberty Independence & Family
> Equality) website called The Family Preservation Act of
> 2006: http://www.life-vs-cps.com/index_files/Page313.htm, which was
> orginally entitled The Family Rights Act of 2006.  There is also the
> supporting proposed legislation called the Family Advocate
> Act: http://www.life-vs-cps.com/index_files/Page317.htm.  The Family
> Preservation Act was renamed because there is no such thing as group
> rights, only individual rights.  You may want to take that into
> consideration.  Please note that although the proposed legislation
> is customized for the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, it was designed
> such that many of the key elements could be used in any state.

--- Duke

Rolando Bini <parentsinaction1@yahoo.com>

> God Bless You. Keep Strong. Keep up the Fight.

> I agree with you, but we have not only a Civil Right, but also a
> Human Right to be Parents. In my opinion Human Rights are Stronger
> because they are Natural Rights given by the Creator to All Human
> Beings, and Civil Rights are given by the State and they are always
> changeable.

> Article 16 says: "The family is the natural and fundamental group
> unit of society and is entitled to protection by society and the
> State".

> I have tried to put as much material on Human Rights as I could find
> at this link
> http://www.parentsinaction.net/english/HumanRights/HumanRights.html

--- Joe

> Hi John,

> I hope this email finds you well, or as well as possible in your
> situation.

> First, I want to thank you.  You are doing the right thing the right
> way.  Serious commitment, serious problem.

> Second, I think your vision is wonderful, but it doesn't address the
> need for lawyers to make money.

> In the big scheme of things, the money made by the states on block
> grants are peanuts compared to what the divorce industry takes for
> itself.  This is the bigger problem, the one that puts up a wall so
> high, the silent power that cements the status quo in place.  The
> face of self interest in family court is the lawyer.  They are the
> only winners.

> So step one is that we call a spade a spade, the divorce industry
> gets rich on the misfortunes of families, so the misfortunes
> mulitply.  Only in the legal industry does more supply create more
> demand, and that is due to the self policing nature of the legal
> industry.

> We need to make sure that the specter of self interest clouding
> their decisions is cast on everyone standing between a child and
> their parents.  Selfish greed vs. a child's best interests.

--- Dan Diebolt

> We will have two professional film crews at the Equal Parents Week
> Rally in addition to media outlets. This would be a great
> opportunity get your story told or contribute to one of several
> documentary efforts that are in the works.

> It takes a lot of work to ogranize an event like this and to arrange
> for our speakers, out of town guests and all the planning and
> support that is needed. Don't let the opportunity to attend the
> Equal Parents Week Rally pass you by.

> We are asking everyone to please contact Michigan and National Media
> and inform them about the Equal Parents Week Rally to be held
> Wednesday September 27 at noon at the Michigan State Capital in
> support of HB 5267 (creates presumption of joint custody).

> Below is an opinion piece sent out by a concerned parent and
> registered nurse who sees the benefit of joint custody and will be
> attending the rally.

> Equal Parents Week Rally set Wednesday
> http://www.battlecreekenquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060925/OPINION03/609250307&SearchID=73258039555832

> We need hundreds of supportive emails, faxes and phone calls to the
> media so please use the following contacts to Michigan newspapers,
> radio stations and televisions stations:

> Michigan Newspapers
> https://www.quickbase.com/db/97t48ukt?a=q&qid=10

> Michigan Radio Stations
> https://www.quickbase.com/db/97t48ukt?a=q&qid=12