[AKidsRight.Org] John Murtari Moved To Jail With Medical Facilities

From: John Murtari (jmurtari@akidsright.org)
Date: Fri Aug 04 2006 - 11:26:57 EDT

Good People & People of Faith,

This message contains updated information on John Murtari.  John has
moved to a different location.  He is at the Syracuse Justice Center,
http://www.ongov.net/Sheriff/jc.html.  You are welcome to write, his
address is:

John Murtari
POD 2A-5
555 South State Street
Syracuse, NY 13202

A recent article about John has been posted at

http://mensnewsdaily.com/2006/08/03/activist-parent-veteran-refuses-food-and-water-moved-to-jail-with-medical-facilities/.

The text of the article follows below.

=====

Activist Parent, Veteran, Refuses Food And Water, Moved To Jail With
Medical Facilities

August 03, 2006

by Teri Stoddard

John Murtari, divorced father to 13-year-old Domenic and founder of
AKidsRight.org is on his fourth day of noncooperation while
incarcerated for failure to pay child support. Murtari is refusing
food and water to protest what he says is unjust treatment of
noncustodial parents.

"Our civil rights aren't respected. Family rights need to be
established and protected," he said, "I've been trying to get Hillary
Clinton to meet with us,
http://www.akidsright.org/actionc_syr/clinton11.htm, and to take a
look at our proposed Family Rights Act,
http://www.akidsright.org/act.htm, but she doesn't seem interested."
Instead of agreeing to a meeting with local parents, Clinton asked
that he be arrested for stalking. Murtari had been peacefully
protesting in front of Clinton's Syracuse office by writing in chalk
on the sidewalk.

Video coverage:

Writing I LOVE YOU with Chalk at the Federal Building
(RealPlayer)  http://www.akidsright.org/actionc_syr/video/hanley25jan.ram

Writing I LOVE YOU with Chalk at the Federal Building
(Windows Media) http://www.akidsright.org/actionc_syr/video/hanley25jan.asx

Writing I LOVE YOU with Chalk at the Federal Building
(MPEG-4) http://www.akidsright.org/actionc_syr/video/hanley25janA.mpg

Murtari, in a call this morning from his new location, the Syracuse
Justice Center, http://www.ongov.net/Sheriff/jc.html, says he
understands why some people who go on hunger strikes change their
minds. "This is scary stuff," he said, "you're alone in your cell
feeling your body break down and nobody gives a hoot." "You wonder if
it's really worth it," he continued, "but I'm a philosophical guy and
I have resolve." This reporter can confirm that the dehydration is
taking effect, his memory isn't as sharp as usual.

He was moved to the Syracuse Justice Center when officials at the
Jamesville Correctional realized he wasn't backing down and might need
medical care.  Jamesville had one nurse and examining room, Syracuse
has an entire floor with medical staff. Dehydration can lead to
swelling of the brain, seizures, kidney failure, coma or
death. Murtari's blood sugar and blood pressure are being
monitored. His blood sugar was 43 and his blood pressure was 90 over
60. "I don't look forward to the feeding tube," he stated, "I'm going
to ask for one in my abdomen instead of down my throat.

It's often assumed that Murtari quit his high-paying job after being
ordered to pay child support. In fact, his leaving that job came
before the divorce.  Murtari, a veteran and ex-Air Force pilot, had
been a highly-paid consultant for a division of Lockheed. His duties
included making sure the patrol system software for submarines was
adequate. He learned that not only did tests show it wasn't working,
but the company was sending false reports to the Navy. He went through
normal channels within the company, but no one was willing to correct
this. Murtari knew if this wasn't corrected people would die. He felt
he had no choice; he blew the whistle on them. Murtari was fired the
very next day. After researching the situation, the government agreed
with Murtari. Unfortunately his actions made getting a job in the same
industry difficult. This was the second time he'd had to blow the
whistle on unethical companies. At this point he decided to focus on
his existing small internet company.

Murtari is not an angry radical activist, the image opponents of equal
child custody laws portray of the family law reform movement. He's a
quiet, thoughtful, peaceful man. Murtari was at one time planning on
being a priest. He was in pre-seminary training when he realized he
just couldn't give up the experience of having a family.

A peaceful protest to draw attention to John's situation and the
plight of all noncustodial parents is being organized for the Syracuse
Justice Center. MAP: http://www.ongov.net/Sheriff/maps.html#jc (time
and date TBA).  Interested parties should email Arte Miastkowski at
arte_miastkowski@yahoo.com with a copy to Teri Stoddard at
teri@akidsright.org.

More background:

http://www.akidsright.org