[AKidsRight.Org] Court April 10th - Jailed for contempt? / Your FEEDBACK

From: John Murtari (jmurtari@AKidsRight.org)
Date: Thu Apr 06 2006 - 15:03:45 EDT

Good People & People of Faith,

I want to alert you that I have a firm Court Date for my support
contempt trial, It is April 10th, at 2 PM, in Syracuse, NY, with Judge
David Klim presiding (the same Judge that sentenced me to six months
in jail several years ago).  You are welcome to be there!

Many of you know that if sentenced to jail I plan on taking NonViolent
Action by non-cooperating. I will just lay down on the floor and be
polite, but passive. I will talk to them, but I won't help or answer
any processing questions. They can carry me.

I will also make them feed me and keep me hydrated. I'm not going to
cooperate by eating or drinking for them -- they can use an IV and
feeding tube. I'm their total responsibility. PLEASE UNDERSTAND this
in no suicide wish or hunger strike. My goal is not to hurt myself,
but to make them expend an uncomfortable amount of effort to keep me
in jail.

If this is new to you or for more details on what's happening, to see
court documents, or court directions, please go to:
http://www.AKidsRight.Org/support_jm.htm

What will happen.
-----------------
I'm not looking forward to this.  It is certainly not a stunt or a
game. I'm 49 years old and fortunate to have never spent a day in a
hospital.  By not drinking a lot of bad things can start to happen
fairly quickly and they need to get that IV running.  After that comes
the feeding tube -- through the stomach. I'd like to say I was
overweight and carrying some extra fat, but I'm not.

This is the good scenario?  The idea of succumbing to these procedures
turns my stomach.  If everything goes well, maybe no long term health
effects -- if a mistake or infection happens, real trouble.

Jail officials will certainly isolate me and limit communication.
Some may try to avoid the 'civil rights' aspects of this, by just
saying "John is mentally ill -- we'll put him in a psych ward."

Why all this?
-------------
The issue is Civil Rights. Our ability to follow our consciences and
nurture our children.  Our right to be fit & equal parents:
http://www.AKidsRight.Org/archive/archive2006/0007.html

The 'system' has financially destroyed me and I'm approaching
retirement with nothing.  That is certainly punishment. But now they
also want to throw me in jail for half a year any time they desire.
While at the same time ignoring the large amount of money I have spent
on my son, our loving relationship, and the value I have to him.

It is a terrible indignity -- and some of your stories (BELOW) are
much worse than mine!  At least I was able to spend Spring Break with
my son last week and have a great time together.  If I'm not in jail,
we should have six weeks together this summer...

I'm so thankful Domenic is now 13 years old and can begin to
understand what 'Dad does.' He (and I) are tired of 'counting days'.
How many more days of vacation?  How many days till the next visit?
How many days till....  I noticed on his laptop he has a countdown
timer -- it was set to show the days:hours:minutes:seconds till our
summer vacation.

His love keeps me motivated. I can't forget all the needless pain I
have seen him go through because of the 'system.'  Many of you have
kids who don't even want to see you -- I don't know how you stand it?
I would never trade places with you.

I will be thankful for lying hungry and thirsty on a jail cell floor,
or having a tube stuck in my gut, but having a son who loves me -- I
would not trade places with you...ever.

NonViolent Action (http://www.AKidsRight.Org/approach.htm), a good way
to show our response to indignity.  Being denigrated in jail, stuck
with a feeding tube, losing a job, being put in the 'crazy ward' --
pretty bad things?  Do any of them approach the 'badness' of being
unable to both give and receive love from your children?

When our actions begin to show that we are willing to embrace all that
voluntary suffering -- other people will begin to appreciate the great
love we have for our kids, and the wrongness in how we have been
treated.  Then our GREAT RIGHT to be parents will be recognized and
protected.

Your HELP is crucial.
--------------------
Certainly, you are welcome to be present on Monday and I look forward
to putting a face with an email address.  I am fortunate to have a
good attorney who has volunteered to help in representing me and
hopefully I can walk out of Court a free man on Monday. I feel the
issue of 'proper venue' is being ignored and I recently filed a
criminal complaint against my former spouses attorney, Ms. Maureen
Walsh, http://www.AKidsRight.Org/support_jm.htm

I hope to be free and continue our efforts to get a meeting between
parents & Sen. Clinton.  http://www.AKidsRight.Org/actionc_syr.htm

If jailed, a list message will be sent out containing detailed contact
info for the following officials (the issue is Civil Rights). Your
suggestions and help in contacting others is welcome:

-----------
Senator Hillary R. Clinton &
Congressman James T. Walsh (Both up for reelection this fall).

Mr. Glenn Suddaby, US Attorney Northern District of NY (Syracuse)

Mr. William Fitzpatrick, Onondaga County DA

Judge David Klim

Local TV and newspaper for Syracuse.
-----------

Personal Visits - given the limited communication, these would be very
valuable in helping to get the word out.  The web site should have
information on where I am located and you can normally contact the
facility directly for visiting info.  I know I would certainly be very
happy to see you.

Your FEEDBACK, including support case law

--- carol webb <carolannwebb2001@yahoo.com>

> ... How about arrearage of $30,000 @ $50 per week? How about no
> visitation efforts by non-custodial parent, no phone calls, cards,
> letters, nada? How about all visitation facilitated by custodial
> parent -- aka begging dad to be a dad? I thought this was about KIDS
> RIGHTS, not cp vs ncp? Let's fix the system, yes. Let's NOT free
> NCPs from their physical, emotional and YES financial
> obligations.CPs have to pay, too. Can an ncp house, feed, and clothe
> a growing child on $50 per week? This doesn't take into account
> lights, gas, water, travel expense, misc. medical costs....

> BTW my Husband pays cs for 4 kids he doesn't see unless he flies
> them to and from another state. My ex live 3 miles away, never
> initiates contact and paid a whopping $50 LAST YEAR.

Sorry to hear about your former spouse not wanting to see the kids and
paying so little.  Sorry to hear about your husband paying for the
kids, and I assume not getting to see them as much as he wants.

What if both had been assumed equal parents with their kids, with the
opportunity for equal contact?  I'd welcome your feedback on a Family
Rights Act we have at the site, http://www.AKidsRight.Org/approach.htm

If a person does NOT want to fulfill their responsibilities and duties
as an equal parent -- then it makes sense they need to pay the other
parent for assuming those responsibilities and the expenses.

What is more difficult is what to do about 'water under the bridge?"
What if you, for whatever reasons, had decided to walk away from your
kids when they were younger?  Had little contact for several years,
and then decided you did want to be involved again as their mother.
Would you be satisfied with the every other weekend?  Do you feel that
once a parent 'walks away' -- that is that?

--- "John Speer" <js@rgv.rr.com>  (bounced email address)

> I am sorry to hear about your situation.  Mine is very similar.
> After my Ex-wife vowed to destroy me personally, financially,
> spiritually, socially, business-wise and in all ways possible, she
> launched a campaign of malicious prosecution (fictitious charge,
> after fictitious charge, after fictitious charge).  In my having to
> hire expensive attorneys in each case to defend me (and prevailing
> each time because there WAS no crime), she wasted what little
> remaining money I had left after already had been made to pay for
> her divorce attorney's $100,000 legal bill.  The court proceeded to
> assess me child support in excess of my pay check such that I could
> no longer even afford to live in a one-room YMCA rental.

> I was forced to go homeless and lived in shelters for a while.
> Finally after stabilizing and starting to get back on my feet, they
> threw me in jail for 6 months for past due child support, supposedly
> for being "in contempt of court" for not paying when they had
> already taken all my money and there was nothing left to pay them
> with.  All this while, my visitation was repeatedly denied and there
> was no assistance or enforcement of my only remaining right with my
> children. Since that time, I have achieved at least telephone
> communication with my children from 1500 miles away and have become
> active supporting the Virtual Visitation initiative (supplemental
> visitation by webcam) since the cost of plane tickets, hotels,
> rental cars, etc., is more than I can afford (the child support
> courts currently take 95% of what I make).

Wow!  They can really grind you into the ground.  So many people just
don't believe this kind of stuff goes on.  It is a real tragedy and I
will certainly keep you in mind as I approach my 'trial' next Monday.

> The methodical demonization, demoralization, and systematic
> dismantling of fathers in divorce court and child support court
> thereafter is a horrible, horrible crime against humanity that has
> brought me to lose my faith in the American legal system.  The
> problems are so entrenched and the anti-male attitude in our media
> and our courts (you're a "DEADBEAT!") is so far-reaching that I'm
> not sure if this can be fixed in my lifetime or if living in America
> is even attractive anymore for divorced fathers.

Yes, but I hope we can broaden it to include all parents.  We have a
lot of members who are mothers, or who lost their kids to 'social
services'.  There are some who feel the government has the greater
right to determine 'the best interest of your child' than you do as a
fit parent == from that assumption, they can take any action they
desire, and they do.

--- Tom <tak2166@aol.com>

> I've been in this game since 1985, a long time by most standards.  A
> couple of months ago, I fed my court documents to the the shredder -
> one page at a time.  This activity was long overdue.  I can't begin
> to describe the release that was.  As I shredded, I relived the
> years of unspeakable grief my ex put me and my kids through - little
> details I had long forgotten about. Not surprisingly, it still
> continues, in one form or another.

> I don't begrudge anyone taking a non-violent approach.  A man's
> gotta do what a man's gotta do.  I've tried it too over the years,
> off and on, in one form or another.  Nothing changes.  If anything,
> the other side's become evermore entrenched, much more so than in my
> day.

Yes, you are right there.  Just taking action doesn't guarantee we get
a fix.  We have to find the value in the action itself.  I think about
segregation, and I'm sure a lot of Blacks were beat up for demanding
their rights (and we don't even know their names), but eventually it
mattered.

> The fact of the matter is this.  Family Court is forcibly changing
> the very fabric of society, one family at a time - all at the
> expense of fathers and children.  As a result, the other side's
> created a culture of violence unheard of in my day.  These so-called
> "violators" share one common factor.  One way or another, their
> fathers were forced out of their childhood.

> Sooner or later, this issue's gonna reach the critical mass I
> described earlier.  Our national security hangs in the balance.

The fabric of society is being violated as you say. I would like to
broaden it and say that not just 'fathers' are hurt.  Many parents are
hurt; not only through divorce, but also child 'protective' actions.
The concept that the 'state' has the superior right to determine the
'best interest' of your child than a fit parent is disturbing.

--- "Elizabeth Barranco" <lizbarranco@gmail.com>

--- Jeff <headsurfer@networkwarriors.com>