Montel Williams & Murtari Petition & Controversial Feedback

From: Webmaster (webmaster@kids-right.org)
Date: Thu Aug 31 2000 - 17:02:16 EDT

http://www.kids-right.org/

To unsubscribe from this list at anytime, send email to
Majordomo@kids-right.org with the following 1 line in the
BODY of the message (Subject is ignored).

unsubscribe members

Good People,

This message contains information on:

1. Montel Williams Show
2. Sept. 7 Appeal & Murtari Petition Assigned to Federal Judge
3. Controversial Feedback from You

1. Montel Williams Show
________________________

John Murtari had a couple of phone conversations from his cell block
with an associate producer for the Montel Williams Show (one of the
more serious nationally broadcast TV talk shows). They were close to
wanting to do a live in-jail interview with John, but then failed to
follow up on it. It may come in the future.

One of the goals of Non Violent Action is publicity and we came very
close to it this time. John had hoped Montel would raise the issue of
national family law reform and Civil Rights for families. Hopefully
John's actions or the actions of one of you reading this message, will
soon ignite that spark. To read a complete essay on Non Violent
action, check our web site at: http://www.kids-right.org/civil.htm.

2. Sept. 7 Appeal & Murtari Petition Assigned to Federal Judge

John's Habeas Corpus Petition was in proper format and accepted by the
Federal Court for the Northern District of New York. A copy of the
petition and complete details can be found at:
http://www.kids-right.org/habeas_corpus.htm.

If you or your group know an attorney in Federal Practice -- we could
all really use the help. John has attempted to raise the issues of
"right to counsel" and "right to jury" in Custody/Support proceedings.
Your group may be able to file an "amicus brief" with the Court.
Contact Mary Chancellor, contact@kids-right.org, who is coordinating
the effort.

John had also appealed the relocation of his son to California. The
appeal will be argued by his attorney, James Stern, on September 7th,
in front of New Yorks' Appellate Division in Rochester, NY. This
will be a very important ruling for John and his son Domenic and
could finally allow a normal relationship to resume. We ask for your
prayers in support of a fair decision, for full details and a copy
of the Appellate brief, please go to http://www.kids-right.org/relocate.htm.

3. Controversial Feedback from You
___________________________________

Our site is about Family Rights and the need for jury protection
before children and parents are separated. Our approach is Non
Violent Action, a very positive approach to reform where you treat
your adversary with courtesy and respect. The problem is NOT people,
but our system of family law. Our Constitution gives us control over
that. We at least need to pass Federal Civil Rights Legislation for
families.

Here are some excerpts from recent messages we received which may
serve to remind us all of WHY people are not the problem:

Regarding Judge Klim (who refused to delay a jail sentence so John
Murtari could spend some summer vacation with his son):
"This judge is filled with evil and evil intent and evil actions.
Take him out of the office for God's sake if you can't focus on the
children."

"Klim is one of the fairest judges on the planet. He is an old friend
and I know his politics on the issues."

So what about Judge Klim, saint or sinner? Maybe it shouldn't matter
in his case or in anyone else's -- lawyers and former spouses
included. This DOES NOT mean we can't criticize their actions, but we
always remember they are good people (just like us).

Our system gives an individual Judge a very difficult job. Too many
cases, too little time, and too much power. Maybe the Judge tried to
see beyond just the facts and thought you needed "a wake up call."
How many of you have been hurt by law guardians, psychologists, and
social workers doing the same thing? In the criminal system, juries
help protect us from being punished by a good intentioned "hunch"
instead of real facts. Don't families deserve the same?

Regarding John Murtari (recent protest actions documented at:
http://www.kids-right.org/protest_dm.htm):

"Why don't you just get a job and relocate near your son? If that's
too much for you to handle, hey, roll over and die. BE A MAN!"

" ... John is hurting us with his exploits. No child should ever be
deprived of their parent for reasons of gender bias .. but they always
will for reasons of lunacy and irrelevant caprice. Instead of going
to jail, he should have gone into hiding and held the system at bay
until IT capitulated."

"Keep the faith, and keep fighting for Domenic. You are a wonderful
parent and you are deeply admired! You are making a difference ..."

So what about John, saint or sinner? How about all of us who have
struggled with the system and made mistakes? Non Violent Action gives
us a clear path: disagree, work for change, but no "character
assassinations." This should also guide us in dealing with fellow
members within the reform movement. We need to take control back over
our system of Family Law.