Civil Disobedience: Over 100 New Jersey Teachers jailed.

From: Webmaster (webmaster@kids-right.org)
Date: Thu Dec 06 2001 - 12:01:22 EST

http://www.kids-right.org/

To unsubscribe from this list at anytime, send email to
Majordomo@kids-right.org with the following 1 line in the
BODY of the message (Subject is ignored).

unsubscribe members

Good People,

We'd like to call all your attention to a recent News Story, covered
earlier this week by both ABC Network News and the New York Times.
Over 100 school teachers have been jailed for violating a
return-to-work order of a New Jersey Judge. Below we have two complete
articles from the New York Times.

We're sending this as an example of Civil Disobedience, but more
importantly to make us all think about sacrifice.  It appears these
teachers are being jailed over a job contract dispute?  If they are
willing to do this -- what should parents be doing that have had their
very children taken from them?  We express frustration because
political leaders are not listening to us -- but perhaps first we need
to "act" like we mean it.  Will the teachers succeed -- who knows?
But we can be sure each of the jailed teachers knows personally -- "I
really stood up for what I believed in."  We can certainly admire
their willingess to act as a "team."

The difference between this and NonViolent Action? If we see the key
elements as being Faith, Love, and Personal Sacrifice -- perhaps the
only thing missing is 'love' for the school board.  And perhaps some
of the teachers do feel that way.  That they are accepting jail not
because the school board members are "idiots," but because they want
to make the strongest personal statement they can to show how unfair
things are.  And hopefully encourage the good people of the school
board to try to see things their way....  When performed in that
light, is it a good example for the students -- you bet!

Imagine the effect an event like this would have when performed
outside the office of a US Senator, who didn't really think Family
Rights are a national issue?

There is sure to be more coverage on this. Actions like this can often
lead to hatred between those who were jailed and those were not, the
'scabs.' But if performed with Love, the individual bears no ill will
to the others who did not participate. Let's worry about our own
actions before those of others.

The articles, along with links to the NY Times site follow:

----------

More Teachers Jailed in N.J. Strike

December 5, 2001 By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

FREEHOLD, N.J. (AP) -- The number of striking teachers thrown in jail
climbed over 100 on Wednesday as the schools superintendent said the
labor dispute that has shut down the 10,500-student district for
nearly a week had become ``a war.''

Negotiations were scheduled to resume Wednesday night between the
Middletown Township Education Association and the town's Board of
Education, but both sides appeared to be hardening their positions.

``It's become a war,'' Superintendent Jack DeTalvo said.

The district's 17 schools have been closed since last Thursday, when
about 1,000 teachers went on strike. They have defied a judge's order
to return to work and 135 have been jailed this week.

About 110 teachers broke ranks with the union Wednesday and returned
to work, DeTalvo said. But classes were canceled again Thursday.

At issue in the negotiations over a new contract is a board proposal
that would require the teachers to pay more for health insurance.

Among the teachers jailed Wednesday was Philip Couch, a 20-year
veteran of the Middletown schools. He was handcuffed and taken away in
a sheriff's van with five other teachers as his wife and children
watched.

``Why did it have to come to this -- highly educated people standing
up for what they believe in being led off to jail in handcuffs like
common criminals,'' Karen Couch said.

A handful of teachers have been excused by two judges because of
medical problems or pressing family issues. Most who appeared in court
were defiant in their refusal to return to work in the 10,500-student
district.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/national/AP-Teachers-Strike.html?ex=10086048
86&ei=1&en=cb1fbbd862ea4621

-----

FREEHOLD, N.J., Dec. 4 - Forty- three more striking teacher-union
members from Middletown, N.J., were sentenced to a week in jail today
for defying a court back-to- work order, joining four colleagues
already jailed.

The contempt hearing is to resume here on Wednesday, and the jailings
of union members - about 1,000 of whom went out on strike - seem
likely to continue throughout the week unless the four-day walkout
ends. Bargaining resumed tonight at a motel in Red Bank, with two
state mediators assisting negotiators.

About 10:30 p.m., a member of the school board negotiating team, Britt
Raynor, said: "We're very concerned about the tachers being in
jail. Hopefully, we can get this settled and those teachers will get
out of jail post haste."

The collective sobbing of teachers stunned by the start of the
jailings late Monday afternoon gave way today to a mix of moods in the
hallways and courtyard of the Monmouth County Hall of Records here, as
Judge Clarkson S. Fisher Jr. continued imposing the sentences.

Allyson Bajor, 12, stood crying in a hallway outside Judge Fisher's
courtroom as her mother, Diane, 46, an art teacher, was led away in
handcuffs. Mrs. Bajor paused and tried to cradle her daughter's cheeks
in her hands. "You have to be good," Mrs. Bajor said. "You have to be
strong."

But other emotions predominated today. Instead, the hundreds of
striking teachers and secretaries gathered outside the Hall of Records
and in Judge Fisher's courtroom were defiant and exuberant, solemn as
well as buoyant.

During the morning, Judge Fisher sought to avoid the jailings at least
three times by offering to order around-the-clock contract bargaining
under his supervision if the teachers obeyed the order he issued on
the first day of the strike last Thursday and returned to Middletown's
17 schools immediately.

But the union's lawyer, Sanford Oxfeld, refused the offer.  Almost to
a person, 67 striking union members asked today by the judge and a
lawyer for the Middletown Board of Education, Douglas J. Kovats, said
they would not return to class until the Board of Education signed a
fair contract settlement.

Several teachers denounced the board during the questioning. Each time
Judge Fisher found groups of three or four or five people in contempt
and deputies led them out of the courtroom for processing, the 150
teachers in the courtroom stood and applauded their colleagues. Judge
Fisher did nothing to silence these demonstrations.

The atmosphere outside the Hall of Records was festive.  Three members
of the marching band of the Middletown North High School came with
saxophone, trumpet and clarinet, and played pep tunes. About 10
members of the football team from Middletown South High School, which
won a state championship game Saturday, came in support of the head
coach and an assistant coach, both now in jail.

Other teachers formed a phalanx outside a rear door and cheered
handcuffed colleagues each time deputies led them to vans for the
trips to the county jail.

After the court sessions had ended, 400 teachers gathered in front of
the Hall of Records and listened as a union leader took a bullhorn and
read the names of the 47 now in jail.

A union theme throughout the day was criticism of the Middletown
School Board. In effect, the striking teachers turned Judge Fisher's
process of asking them for the reasons they violated his order into a
forum for attacking the board.

The teachers called the board a dictatorial body that showed the union
little respect. One teacher told the judge the board had likened
teachers to members of the Taliban.

"The board does not know the definition of good faith bargaining," one
teacher, Victor Bayers, told the judge.  Another, Lori Best, who was
jailed today along with her husband, Charles, said she had taught in
Middletown for 21 years. "In that whole 21 years, we've never settled
a contract peacefully," Ms. Best said.

Besides jailing 43 teachers and secretaries today, Judge Fisher
declined to send 22 to jail because of a variety of family and medical
problems. They were still found in contempt, however. Two other
teachers told the judge they would obey his order and return to work.

Another board lawyer, Michael Gross, said board officials had told him
today that about 100 teachers returned to work, up from 50 on
Monday. The union president, Diane Swaim, said she doubted that 100
had split with the union.  But she acknowledged she did not know how
many had gone back to work today.

Today, Judge Fisher called in a second judge to question teachers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/12/05/nyregion/05MIDD.html?ex=1008604957&ei=1&en
=e5aa705617d9e711