Your FeedBack: An Invitation to Action for Reform

From: Webmaster (webmaster@kids-right.org)
Date: Tue Sep 18 2001 - 14:06:37 EDT

http://www.kids-right.org/

To unsubscribe from this list at anytime, send email to
Majordomo@kids-right.org with the following 1 line in the
BODY of the message (Subject is ignored).

unsubscribe members

Good People,

This message contains another summary of feedback we have received to a
recent list message from John Murtari regarding a plan for NonViolent
Action on October 15th (to highlight several members of Congress who
appear to want to just ignore requests for reform).  For a complete
message archive see http://www.AKidsRight.Org/archive/archive2001

ALSO, we'd first like to take a moment to make you aware of one
Nationwide event.
Contact:  Patti Diroff   ----  pattidiroff@worldnet.att.net
      http://members.tripod.com/epweek

[Equal Parents Weeks - There is a real nationwide effort to organize
home/group vigils for the night of Sept. 25 (at 8:30 PM).  A LOT of
work has gone into the planning. For full details please check the link
above.  The effort has a nice motto: "The Best Parent is Both Parents"]

Your feedback follows:

----  Joanne Rudman  ----  aces4kids_jo@yahoo.com

I support your actions and hope that you find someone who will join you
in this venture!  In Pittsburgh we are chipping away at the system by
educating parents to make a change.  We all work for the same goals....

----  Michael Manthie   ----  mtms@earthlink.net

What happened Tuesday in NYC should wake you up to what is, is.  All
the talk is going to do nothing.  Walking and protesting is not going
to change a thing.

You were in the Military, now uphold that oath you took.  We are at
war, recognize that and do what you swore an Oath to do.  UPHOLD THE
CONSTITUTION.  Not the political agents that say they have our best
interests and that of our children at heart.  Bullshit.

----  Jennifer Miller  ----  mtrustno1@yahoo.com
      http://Clubs.Yahoo.com/Clubs/LawsToFightAgainstCPS

[ This mother is planning an event in California. ]
I would like to make a counter-offer as I stated in my phone
conversation to you, but here in California.  Please if you would,
contact everyone here in California for me and give them my e-mail,
MTrustno1@Yahoo.com, and name, Jennifer A. Miller, and ask them to put
in the subject line - "NonViolent Action", so I can give a reading of
their e-mails of higher importance.  The only conflict I truely have is
the date.  I can not miss a visit with my children.  Either the day
after, October 16 Tuesday is okay or at the end of the week which would
be Friday October 19 is acceptable.  Please ask the people to contact
me and we can set a date, time and place that is best for all that is
willing to do this.

The 16th and the 19th will be fine to advertise.  What I would like to
do is if people can make it both days or some on one and not the other
and vice versa that would be splendid.  Please advertise my e-mail and
phone number: 916-338-1309 if you like.  You have my permission.  Also,
that way we can all collectively figure out a time that all can go for
each respective day.  Thank you for help on this end.

----  WIREPALLADIN@aol.com

This stuff is getting to be too much bullshit.
Am interested in law and cases and decisions not all this fring and frill.
And what makes you so eminently qualified to write all this hokum?

[ We did contact this person to clarify some ideas, they don't feel
quite the same now. We included it here, because it asks some good
questions (definitely not sugar-coated!)  If you are not sure what
NonViolent Action is OR if you think it is just another "protest" like
you've seen on TV in the past -- we encourage you to follow this link
and look at a few REAL & recent examples,

http://www.AKidsRight.Org/events.htm ]

----  Nanci  ----  drew214@dcsi.net

I'm not so sure that within the near future it is a good idea to push
for the reform due to the attack on America.  Unfortunately there is a
priority right now for those who are dead or covered with concrete to
hopefully get them out alive.  The efforts of the reform for family
rights will not look good in the eyes of any political official at the
moment, in fact, it might look selfish although I understand the
importance of the reform.  I'm just giving you my own idea of what has
now been tossed at our feet.

I do feel this should be backed up until New York and the country and
some what feel safe again, as it is far from being safe now, in fact it
is still dangerous to consider flying or being in any government
building.

----  Dr. Weinstein  ----  DrMonty1@aol.com

I support you and are behind you.  I do family counselling and expert
testimony on the issue of custodial disputes and parental alienation.

----  Kim Birger Ploug Heilberg  ----  heilberg@online.no

We plan to hold a gathering on Monday, 15th of Oct. on Route 66 in
Oslo.  Many regards from "Engaged fathers in southern Norway" We fight
for the same case. "Equal parentship, common children."  The
discrimination and suppression of fathers is scaring here.

Yours sincerely: Kim Birger Ploug Heilberg
                         Doennestadveien 101
                         4658 Tveit
                         Norway

----  Steve Osborne  ----  ozzy_downeast@yahoo.com
       http://www.everyman.org/old-site/Everyman/steve/Steve11.htm

[Steve is a Canadian and has not seen his children in several years.
He has posted signs and held vigil outside government offices in Canada
at a great deal of personal sacrifice.]

I would be pleased to join you October 15th in Syracuse.  Sounds great.
I expect there will be some difficulty for me, as there is a border to
cross, and in light of events of this past week it will likely be
tricky to say the least.

What's your thoughts on this-do we create an "international incident"
by having a Canadian with you, or would it be best to avoid that
considering the circumstances?

----  William L. Spence  ----  wls@redshift.com

I very much appreciate your commitment to your son, dedication to the
issue on behalf of all children, and interest in action---but have
doubts that limiting it to asking Congress to intantaneously overturn
several hundred years of entrenched legal and social custom is a winning
strategy ....

I'm still trying to figure out how to encourage sustained dialogue on
family law reform strategy: too often the discussion stops dead with the
conclusion that the time isn't ripe, or there're even whiffs of acrimony
despite strong agreement as to goals.

In California I believe things have actually moved backwards: especially
in terms of their being a vocal, organized, and respected movement for
reform.   I'm frustrated and perplexed by the resistance I meet in
seeking to reverse this trend.

An aspect of the situation is what I've called ``waiting for the silver
bullet'': a phrase which has offended some people, but which to me
describes a prevalent sentiment by which individuals eschew action that
does not promise sudden and comprehensive reform---ignoring in my
opinion the necessity of building reforms in a series of steps, and
thereby delaying their eventuality by loosing time to inaction instead
of preparing for the long-haul.   The end of the Cold War shows indeed
how events can overtake everyone's apprehension---but also vindicates
those who worked assiduously, without much instant gratification, to lay
the foundation that made the fall of the Soviet Union and Warsaw Pact
possible.   It also seems to me that those who commit to a specific
approach would be interested in continued analysis of the obstacles
necessary to overcome in pursuing it.

----  Del Parker  ----  irishcoins2000@hotmail.com

I held a similar event in front of the Federal Courthouse in downtown
Seattle, Chirstmas eve, 1982.  I hosted a prayer vigil for "parents who
were without their children through acts of the State of Washington
that Christmas".  About 87 parents showed up, including 2 Eskimos.  One
couple, victims of CPS, erected a nativity scene.

Almost 20 years later, the problem still needs to be solved.  Good
Luck.  I would join you if I was in New York.  I plan to be in NYC
weekend of Oct 15, Friday and Saturday.

----  Doreen Berts  ----  DBerts5555@aol.com

I read your article and found it of most interest.  My name is Doreen
Berts, Executive Director/Advocate of Informing Our Children,
Inc. Everyday I have the pleasure of working with families to empower
them in order to regain custody of their children.  In Cleveland I'm
known as the family advocate based on my research I work closely with
families in order for them to regain custody of their children.  I
learned the best way to fight a system is to learn that system and it's
structure and become a part of the solution and not the problem.  We
can protest all day but until we take time to learn strategies it's
just considered a protest.  We have been able to help many children in
returning home each year by removing the barriers.  Our program can
work anywhere and it can work for you.  Feel free to e-mail me in
working together we can make a difference.

-----Llyod Gorling kalypso@glen-net.ca (http://www.glen-net.ca/ex-fathers

Your discussion (in your message on "Roadmap to Reform ...") of the
inherent right to be your child's parent was excellent. Has the day
arrived when, after a child is born, someone at the hospital demands to
see your last year's income tax return or three current pay stubs
before permitting you to take the baby home? This was out of the
question when my children were born. Yet this is what the family law
courts do day in and day out. They want to know every detail of your
earnings so they can make you financially responsible. And then they
don't let you take your baby home! Clearly, your inherent right to
parent your child, includes the inherent right to be left alone to do
it your own way, without intrusions on your personal and financial
affairs.

I was interested in your concluding remarks in section 2, HOW DO WE
CHANGE "ATTITUDES". You said: "The anger and name calling towards
Judges, Lawyers, and former Spouses just has to end and for obvious
reasons: 'It has always been a mystery to me how men can feel
themselves honored by the humiliation of their fellow human beings.'
(Mahatma Gandhi)"

I'm not sure what to make of this. It is my custom to refer to the
chivalrous pigs on the family-court benches. I have no hesitation in
talking about the pimping judges, the lawyers who live off the flesh
trade of our children, and the Black Widows who feel entitled to make a
meal of a man. These descriptors are a means of identifying evil and
putting it in a context that relates to people's understanding from
other aspects of their lives.

That is part of effective communicating. Perhaps this is what you refer
to as "anger and name calling", I'm not sure. Certainly, I know that
it's essential that we give fathers vocabulary so they can not just
feel the injustice but can also express it. It's important we give the
people the language which they need to see the problem, name the
problem, and the sources of the problem. If we are going to stop them
from doing that then what's the point? Jesus had no trouble identifying
the problems in the church. He called the pharisees and the sagisees
'hypocrites' -- strong language.

---- ACSCA@aol.com

The thing that you need to bear in mind is thus: For the next 30 to 90
days all elected officials in New York are going to be dealing
primarily with the WTC and terrorist issues -- which includes the
economy.  It is estimated that it is going to take at least 6 weeks to
clear the rubble away -- and of course, in the process, find body parts
that need to be identified.  For you to be protesting, or whatever,
during this time will be viewed by many to be nothing more, and nothing
less than insensitive and callous by those that you wish to do things
for you.

I can assure you that lobbiests around the country are now on a bit of
a vacation -- except for those that are involved with these key issues.

Think of IMAGE -- and this what you need in order to succeed with what
you propose to do.  During the next 30 days there are going to be
numerous memorial services for those in the WTC -- as well as any that
lose their lives in actions taken by the military.  For you to be there
holding a picture of your son expressing your dissatisfaction with the
way the government has handled divorce issues -- it is not going to set
well with people who are trying to deal with true and actual victims.
At this time you PERCEIVE yourself to be a victim -- the government
does not share that view.

Do what you must -- but you could find that any doors you may have
wished to have opened for you at some point in time can be permanently
closed.