Congressional Results / Planning for Father's Day

From: Webmaster (webmaster@kids-right.org)
Date: Thu May 25 2000 - 10:35:06 EDT

http://www.kids-right.org/

To unsubscribe from this list at anytime, send email to
Majordomo@kids-right.org with the following 1 line in the
BODY of the message (Subject is ignored).

unsubscribe members

Good People,

This message contains info on:
1. Mother's Day 2000 - Results
2. New at Site - Essay's Page & Hall of Shame
3. Father's Day 2000 - What's in store?

1. Mother's Day 2000 - Results
------------------------------
To take a word from Henry David Thoreau:

   "There are thousands who are in opinion opposed to slavery and the
war . . . yet in effect do nothing to put an end to them . . . They
hesitate, and they regret, and they sometimes petition; but they do
nothing in earnest and with effect. They will wait, well disposed,
for other to remedy the evil . . . There are nine hundred and
ninety-nine patrons of virtue to one virtuous man. . ."

A LOT of people heard the Mother's Day message: contact your local
Congressional Representative. If the issue is "Civil Rights for
Families", this is the approach. About a dozen actually signed up at
the web site -- and two actually did it! We beat Henry's odds! We
certainly understand the good intentions of the folks who wanted to
help, but couldn't that day -- things happen -- we all know that.
But a special "Hats Off" to Mary Chancellor (our Public Relations
person) and Lesley Wooldridge. You can read their full descriptions
of what happened at:

http://www.mothersday2000.org/results.htm

An excerpt below from Mary's story -- note, a polite attitude,
but firm in asking for change!

"I went to Congressman Wamp's office this afternoon around 12:00. I
was pleasantly surprised to be introduced to Robin Derryberry,
Deputy Chief of Staff. She listened to my plea, asked some important
questions and gave some really good feedback.

As she stated, "One of the things Congress is trying to do is to
give more power at the State level. I listened as she explained but
I also stood my ground that at this time there are no National laws
governing these issues and things are getting out of hand....

Robin assured me she would send the package to the appropriate
people and that I WOULD hear from them. I held firm to the fact that
I wanted to meet Congressman Wamp in person, that I did not want him
sending word to me through someone concerning his position on this
issue. She assured me I would meet with him, however it may take
some time, due to his full schedule.

I assured her I had nothing but TIME and that I wasn't going
anywhere..."

2. New at Site - Essay's Page & Hall of Shame
We have added several new submissions to our Hall of Shame. More
examples of a system that is in need of basic reform. Check out
http://www.kids-right.org/shame.htm

Our Essay's page has also been revamped. Anyone is welcome to
contribute their thoughts, full details on these new articles
can be found at: http://www.kids-right.org/essays.htm

* Moral v. Secular Law (4/20/2000) - A sensitive description of a
dialog within the Amish Community on moral responsibility.

* How Much Child Support? (5/25/2000) - Based on what you want, or
what you need?

* NonViolence & Family Law Reform (5/1/2000) - If the issue is our
"Civil Rights" then this is the fast track to change.

3. Father's Day 2000 - What's in store?
---------------------------------------
Kids-Right.Org is an internet based group -- but we are learning
that nothing can take the place of face-to-face meetings. There are
some activities planned in the Washington D.C. area as part of that
weekend and some members are already planning on making the trip.
John Murtari, a group coordinator, plans on making the trip and
welcomes the chance to meet people he only presently knows via
E-mail.

We encourage you to give some serious thought to making the visit.
Right now we are planning to "get together" in front of the Lincoln
Memorial on Sunday Afternoon (June 18th).

We will also be repeating the Mother's Day effort again on Father's
Day -- for those of you who can't make it to D.C. We will be
following up with details soon and the address of a new web site,
for an idea of the effort see: http://www.mothersday2000.org/

Your suggestions are welcome!