Press Release 11/24/99

From: John Murtari (jmurtari)
Date: Wed Nov 24 1999 - 15:48:35 EST

----- Begin Included Message -----

>From news-owner@wrench.thebook.com Wed Nov 24 15:46 EST 1999
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 14:29:24 -0500 (EST)
From: Kids-Right <kidsrigh@thebook.com>
To: news@kids-right.org
Subject: Press Release 11/24/99

http://www.kids-right.org/

To unsubscribe from this list at anytime, send email to
Majordomo@kids-right.org with the following 1 line in the
BODY of the message (Subject is ignored).

unsubscribe news

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Syracuse, New York (Nov 24, 1999) - Mr. John Murtari, a former Air Force Pilot
and Academy Graduate, was arrested Monday at the Onondaga County Courthose while
continuing his protest for children's rights to have an equal relationship with
both parents. Mr. Murtari returned to the Courthouse lobby carrying a picket
sign with a photograph of his young son Domenic. This was a violation of a
previous order barring him from the Courthouse. He says he's a parent going
"on strike" for the sake of his 6 year old child.

Mr. Murtari had been quickly released by a judge after his two most recent
attempts--both of which occurred within the last two weeks. He is refusing
bail or voluntary release until an investigation into his case can restore him
as an equal parent in his child's life. "My son and I have a warm and wonderful
relationship -- the long distance good byes and the counting of days till the
next visit was just too much for us to bear. I never had a good answer when
he'd ask, 'Daddy, why can't I be with you more?' -- it is an awful situation."
Murtari had spent three weeks in Jail during a similar protest in February of
this year.

"It is unfortunate that busy public officials only seem to respond after
tragic violence ... then investigations are opened and procedures are
reviewed. I reject violence, but believe non violent action may have the
same good result -- I hope it is not too long a wait for Domenic and I."

Mr. Murtari is the founder of a web site, http://www.kids-right.org,
recognized as a Human Rights groups by the editors of Yahoo.Com. Made up of
both mothers & fathers, they would like to see investigative and reform
action at both the State and Federal levels. They have proposed legislation
in terms of a Federal Family Rights Act of 1999 and believe committee hearings
into custody proceedings would give shocking testimony from parents unjustly
deprived of meaningful contact with their children. The solution his group
recommends to this would involve giving the parent/child relationship the same
Constitutional protections offered most criminals -- the Jury.

The web site highlights the philosophy and experience of both Mahatma Gandhi
and Martin Luther King, two great practitioners of Civil Disobedience, who both
practiced a style which involved respect and love for your opponent, while
demonstrating your own belief through personal Non-Violent Action.

After being involved in a custody dispute, and exercising his right to appeal
as far as the United States Supreme Court -- Murtari was devastated and
shocked by the rejection of all his legal attempts, the failure of legislators
to take effective action in response to his letters, and most recently the
relocation of his son, Domenic, to Boulder, Colorado.

Murtari is a former Air Force Instructor Pilot and Cum Laude graduate of the
Air Force Academy. He has a Masters in Computer Science from Syracuse
University and is the president of the Software Workshop, a small Internet
company he founded in 1995. He has a long record of volunteer work with both
the elderly and homeless in the Syracuse area, along with involvement in
local politics.
## END ##
Background:

A hyperlinked version of this release is available at:
http://www.kids-right.org/release3_dm.htm

For more information check the web site, http://www.kids-right.org/, or
contact: webmaster@kids-right.org (there are video clips of the last protest
available). Murtari's office can be reached at 315-635-1968.