[AKidsRight.Org] Murtari to be released Friday / Letter to Senator Clinton

From: John Murtari (jmurtari@akidsright.org)
Date: Wed Nov 29 2006 - 12:54:35 EST

Good People & People of Faith,

This message contains info on:
1. Current News - Murtari to be released Dec. 1st
2. Letter to Senator Clinton - from a jail cell
3. Your FEEDBACK

1. Current News - Murtari to be released Dec. 1st
John Murtari will be released on Friday, Dec. 1st.  On Thursday his
feeding tube will be removed in preparation for his release Friday
morning.  After the tube is removed John will no longer drink the cup
of juice and broth he has normally had at meals.  The purpose of these
liquids was to help sooth his throat and keep the outside of the tube
clean.  No water will be taken either.  This brief period without
fluids should not be a problem.  John understands and agrees with
their desire not to delay his release waiting for a physician to be
available.  A nasal-gastric tube can normally be removed by a nurse,
but because of the duration this tube has been inserted, having a
physician do the procedure was considered safer.  For complete
details, see http://www.AKidsRight.Org/support_jm.htm.

On Tuesday, Nov. 28th, John had a news interview with Syracuse Channel
3 (http://www.wstm.com), an NBC affiliate.  The segment aired during
their evening news hour.  We are working on making clips of the video
available.

2.  Letter to Senator Clinton - from a jail cell
One of John's last actions in jail was to send a letter to the local
and Washington offices of Senator Hillary Clinton. Its full text is
below.  We hope it will encourage her to have a local meeting with
parents.  This would certainly help all our efforts to get reform on
the national political agenda.  We are convinced that her willingness
to personally meet with parents would open doors to other members of
Congress across the nation.  Below we include the mailing address and
fax numbers of her Syracuse and Washington offices.  We encourage you
to write and tell her how much you love your children, the pain of
separation, and how your Civil Right to be a parent was violated.

Washington Fax Number: (202) 228-0121
Syracuse Fax Number: Fax: (315) 448-0476

November 29, 2006

The Honorable Hillary Rodham Clinton
United States Senate
476 Russell Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510                 SCHEDULING/HELP REQUEST

Dear Senator Clinton,

I'm a coordinator for a growing group of loving mothers and fathers
who were unjustly separated from their children through divorce,
separation, or the action of child protective services. Our group's
name is AKidsRight.Org (http://www.AKidsRight.Org). We need your help.

I'm writing this letter from a jail cell in Syracuse. With the help of
many other parents I'm non-cooperating with an unjust sentence and
have been tube fed for almost 4 months. I love my son, Domenic, very
much and do everything I can for him. Being sent to jail for contempt
of a support order was a degrading experience. As I consider all the
public money and court time spent on me -- it makes no sense. I am not
unique; it happens to many other loving parents every day.

How can any legal proceeding "make sense" when it fails to recognize
basic human rights? What would we say today to past court actions that
prosecuted:

	* an escaped slave trying to gain their freedom?
	* a woman for attempting to cast a vote?
	* a black for sitting in the front of the bus?

We are not protecting the rights of parents & children. In the last 40
years a patchwork of family law legislation has been passed, but it
never recognized that these rights exist.

Our immediate goal is a local meeting between you and a small group of
mothers and fathers associated with our group. We have a proposed
agenda at our web site:
http://www.AKidsRight.Org/actionc_syr/agenda.htm. We hope that after
you have a chance to hear our stories and also from other groups you
will endorse a call for Congressional Hearings and eventually the
creation of a Family Rights Act.

An Act to recognize and protect the Civil Right of our children to
have BOTH parents (whether they be good, average, or poor parents)
equally involved in their lives AND the right of parents to raise and
nurture their own children. That will require parents be found guilty
in a criminal court, with jury protection, of being a demonstrated
serious threat to their children before government can interfere in
family life.

Our method and strength is NonViolent Action and we are attempting to
follow the recent historical examples of Gandhi and Martin Luther
King. That positive social reform can be triggered, not by hatred,
revenge, or violence - but by parents motivated by Faith in a Loving
God. Parents willing to demonstrate to the public the love they have
for their children by voluntary personal sacrifice.

In the past several years many of our members have written or called
your offices regarding reform. Some of us have even visited your
Washington office. I hope someone will contact me soon so we can
further discuss the agenda for a meeting.  We are planning a rally for
parents at the Syracuse Federal Building for mid-February.  It would
be great to have your representative address the group and hopefully
announce a date for a local meeting between you and parents.

Sincerely yours,

John Murtari
315-635-1968, x-211
jmurtari@AKidsRight.Org

CC: Syracuse Office, Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton
James M. Hanley Federal Building
100 South Clinton Street
P.O. Box 7378
Syracuse, NY 13261-7378