[AKidsRight.Org] Wording of NY 'shared parenting' Bill A330 & ultimate goals?

From: John Murtari (jmurtari@akidsright.org)
Date: Fri Mar 10 2006 - 09:38:28 EST

Dan,

I did send Assemblyman Oaks a personal letter yesterday and asked him
to sponsor the Bill.  I actually sat down and read all of A330, and
I'll be honest. I wasn't very impressed.

http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A00330&sh=t

I know some people are looking for 'small steps forward', but I just
don't know.  It seems good that it makes 'shared parenting' legal and
at least a goal -- but I was a little worried by the standard required
to award custody of your child to non parents, just 'best interest'
(are there other agenda's reflected there?  Does it make it easier for
Child Protective Services to place a child with 'foster' parents?).

I responded to a message from Greg Romeo I saw on a few other groups
and I had to agree that the Bill is not very effectual.  I also saw a
message in the EPOC list from Eric Tarkington which reflected
concerns
.
Eric says: etarking@ooadvocate.com

     "Nothing will really happen for the better until the law says you
     keep parental rights equal with the other parent, and superior to
     the government, unless you are proven guilty of a crime with the
     full criminal rules of evidence and all due process."

I believe Eric said (and I agree), that parenting should be equal
absent a conviction (in a criminal court).  Our group also has
a Family Rights Act, http://www.AKidsRight.Org/act.htm

Do the folks getting this message agree with that?  Is that "our" long
term goal?

Does FAFNY (http://www.fafny.org/) have a draft of a proposed 'law'
that represents long term goals for reform?  I do believe that
anything that allows a 'best interest' determination by a single Judge
does not either recognize or protect the Civil Right we have as
parents of our own children.

Again, I think a lot of work has been done and the Bill should be
passed for at least getting 'shared parenting' recognized as a goal.
That is why I wrote my member of the Assembly and I hope other folks
will also -- but I hope that 'internally' was can use its wording to
help clarify what 'our' goals are.

Best regards!